To the left of the Rutland Arms Hotel (1815) runs Palace Street, following the course of one of the trackways of the ancient Icknield Way, walked by travellers from as far back as the Stone Age! On the left is a house thought to have been built for Nell Gwynne, King Charles II’s mistress. Further down Palace Street, on the right is Palace House, now part of the National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art.
This Grade II* listed building is the only surviving wing of King Charles II’s Newmarket palace. One of its treasures was only discovered in the 1990s: sealed in a first floor brick wall, workmen found a solid framed window, complete with glass and sash and counter-balance mechanism. This would have been state-of-the-art technology when the palace was completed in 1671.