When visiting Newmarket, it is hard to miss the impressive clock tower that marks the top of the High Street. It is easy to appreciate the obvious beauty of this wonderful piece of architecture, but surprisingly few actually know its history.
This type of clock tower is known as a ‘Jubilee Clock’ and it was originally erected to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887. Officially opened in 1890, it was constructed by local builder Richard Arber and was paid for by the people of the town by “voluntary contribution”. The clock itself was donated by Charles Blanton, a Newmarket racehorse trainer and to this day it is wound by hand every week.