Newmarket’s two medieval parish churches are All Saints and St. Mary’s; originally All Saints lay in Cambridgeshire and St. Mary’s in Suffolk, with the High Street as the county boundary. Both are flint-clad buildings, extensively rebuilt and modernized in the Victorian period.
St. Mary’s was built on the site of a medieval chapel, and many parts of the building date from the fifteenth century, including the tower and the doorway in the south porch. The tracery of the west window is original and the glass of 1930 is by Christopher Webb. There are six bells in the tower, the oldest dating from 1580.
All Saints was used as King Charles II’s royal chapel, sited next to his palace. The only original remnant is the base of the tower, which also preserves interesting memorial stones from the earlier building on its interior walls. Unusually, the rebuilt church was oriented north-south, rather than east-west. There are fine stained glass windows and carved stonework inside and most of the Victorian pews are still in situ. The organ was designed especially for the church by the master organ builder J.J. Binns of Leeds in 1908. All Saints welcomes visitors; if you see the door open, please come in!